Friday, September 26, 2008

How many things can Kami catch...this tops them all

For those who read about Kami catching a butterfly, now she reached another goal.

A couple of days ago she caught a bee, just like the one in the picture here.

On picture day this week-Tuesday-after school, we came home and the girls needed some outdoor time. They had plenty of energy! They went out to the back yard and there was an area covered with little flowers. They looked so cute in their little dresses, running and playing in the flower covered yard, I was getting ready to run in the house for the camera except I heard the train coming. It runs RIGHT behind our house. I didn't go in b/c I didn't want them getting out of the fence/yard, so I stayed put. To bad b/c they went in as soon as it left.

Anyways, just as the train had passed, Kami came over to me to show me something exciting she had. I thought she was going to give me a flower, as she loves to bring me all sorts of flowers, usually the weed kind:). Instead, I realize when she gets close enough, that she has a honey bee pinched right between her thumb and pointer finger. I coaxed her into letting it go and watched in amazement when it just flew away, like in a drawing, flew away not in a straight line, but curved a little down, curved back up and curved up the other direction and away it went. Maybe it was a little dizzy from the whole experience. It didn't show any hostility while she held it, it was more like she paralized it for a time-or maybe she held it a little to tight and didn't allow blood to flow well to its brain.

I was a little paralized for a couple of seconds - I wasn't sure if I was marveled by the fact that the bee didn't seem to be upset or that she hadn't been stung yet or if we would have to run as fast as we could as soon as she let it go b/c it would be angry.

Hopefully now she won't try and catch them anymore b/c I did let her know that they have stingers and can sting you. I do know for a fact that it doesn't feel very good when they do.

0 comments: