Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Days!

How did everyone do on their first day back to school? I am always amazed at the butterflies in my stomach every first day! I have such a myriad of emotions..........first, as I relive my first days of school as a child and the anxiety and excitement that went with it, second, as a mother worried and excited over my own child, and third, as a teacher as I stare out at the 25 little faces that God has entrusted into my care. It is a pretty happy, yet worrisome and emotional day! Well, my class is precious! I am so anxious to get to know them! I am very thankful that God chose me to be a teacher. It is a challenging, yet extremely rewarding job. My daughter had a good first day overall, but she is having a hard time being separated from her group of friends who all happened to end up together in another class. She loves her teacher and I know she will learn a lot. She also is in with a very nice group of kids. I told her that she will make new friends, and can still keep the old. She is doing better with accepting it. Life is about change. Funny story..........Baylee and I were sitting on the couch in the living room talking about change. Baylee said, "Mom, sometimes I wish that I didn't experience last school year being with all my friends and then I wouldn't keep comparing it now." I told her that it was better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all. I gave her the example of getting another dog knowing that you will probably out live it, but the joy of owning it outweighs the loss. I told her everything changes, she said, "Not the fireplace!". Well, you won't believe what happened!! At that very moment the light over the fireplace came on all by itself! We busted out laughing until our guts hurt! I told her that God did that to say "BAM, Listen to your Mama!" Well, I will be anxious to know about everyone elses first day!

3 comments:

Nina said...

My daughter started the 8th grade this year, she is the head of her school in junior high as high school starts in 9th grade, oh my she will be in high school in one year. She already wants to switch one of her classes and complained how boring the first day of school went. I think it was worse for me, I was so used to having her here this summer to help out with her baby sister that it was hard to lose that help and to have the time to hang out with both of my girls all day. It was nice having her company but I know that her education is more important. They grow up so fast. Before I know she will be heading to college and Ayla will be going to kindergarten. By the way Gina, love your story about the fireplace - it's amazing when things like that happen.

Kathy said...

Wow! What a great first days you've had and what and amazing way to explain change. Even more amazing of how God works, huh!
The first days have been good! Kami is in Pre-K 1/2 days-PM. She can hardly stand it. She wants to be there all the time. I'm surprised she hasn't been sleeping with her backpack, as much as she has been wearing it.
Greg got to take her on her first day of school. I left for work that day around 10:15 and she had her backpack on already. When I left, it was all Greg heard about was school. Greg said she kept repeating to him "Let's go Daddy, I'm going to be late for school". It hasn't eased up yet. I go into work(@10:30) before she goes to school(@12:15). She thinks that she should go to school when I leave and doesn't want to wait for Grandma to take her later. She doesn't give up easy, this will be a challenge, probably for another few months.
Kaitlyn, surprisingly, was not up for going back to school the day of open house. Greg had mentioned how she will get to have homework this year, just like Jakob, and from there it went down hill. She was moody the day of open house and for the first day or two of school. All b/c she didn't want homework. She is all better now. She is enjoying her class, which is good for us, she can get quite moody.
I don't blame her though on the homework. I wouldn't want homework like Jakob either, it takes him all night to do it. He sits and sulks about what he could be doing instead of just getting it done so he can do what he wants to do-play outside, ect.
Jakob seems to like his class and his teacher. On a homework page they did, he listed his teacher as people he looks up to. Most kids, if they were to put that, you'd think they were sucking up or something, but if Jakob writes it, he actually thinks of it as genuine.
We've done well on getting around in the AM. Only 3 days to compare it to. Looking to make it a challenge to myself to do well all the way through school, seeing as I am not much of a morning person. Once I get up I'm fine, it's just the getting myself out of bed is the tough part.

Trish Pitts said...

Nathan still hasn't started school yet! We were ready by the end of July.... Unfortunately he doesn't start until Sept. 2. It is all I can do you wait. He is so tired of me all day long that these last few weeks have been stressful!! Both of us are eagerly waiting though. His first day of Kindergarden!!!! Wooo Hooo I just hope we make it till then!